BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Mishmosh... One Night's Experience

South Indian Cuisine




I went out to dinner for some traditional South Indian food this past week. Surprisingly it wasn't too spicy and it was delicious. As you can see in the picture it was served on a big banana leaf. There is no silverware, you eat only with your hands. It was quite an experience and actually walking up to the restaurant it looked like something you'd see in New York, the neon lighting, not quite the cleanest looking place but everyone raves about it and it's always busy so you figure it can't be that bad.



Cross Dressing... In INDIA?!?!
The next part of my evening involved seeing some local cross dressers. I truly could not believe what I was seeing, I looked at the door to the restaurant and standing there is, what appeared at first glance to be a woman with a shaved head wearing a saree. Then at second glance I realized no it was not a woman but a man wearing a saree! Oh my gosh, in India?!?!? Evidently they are very prevalent. They are beggars and will come to restaurant requesting money from the manager and if the manager does not give them money they will start to make a scene... ultimately threatening to strip. There is some kind of weird clapping thing they do as well, I've heard that they are very aggressive and won't leave until given money. I also heard that there are stories of young boys who are kidnapped at a very young age and forced into this. It's all very strange.
Motorcycle Ride
So I rode on my first motorcycle ride. My friend's boyfriend has a motorcycle. Everyone in India has a motorcycle and you would not believe how people ride them! Families of four ride on one motorcycle, child in the front, father behind driving, mother on the back with another child on her lap... only in INDIA!

0 comments: