BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Pongal and the Eclipse

Pongal is the celebration of the harvest season here in India. It's a week long celebration where Hindu families participate in traditional routines to worship the sun god and other who have helped the harvest to be successful. A few friends and I were able to visit an Indian co-workers house one evening during the week of Pongal. We were there on the evening when she was thanking the cow which supplies her with milk every day. She feed the cow some treats when the owner brought it by and slipped a gift around it's neck, I think for the owner of the cow.

Also in the same week we got to view an eclipse! In my memory I have never seen on before... the school purchased special glasses so that everyone could see the eclipse. I put on these silly, 3D looking glasses, and gazed up at the sun not really expecting what I saw! It was the "coolest" thing ever! I reacted like one of the children, "WOW... oh my gosh... that's so cool... did you see it... this is so cool!" It was so cool, that about sums it up ;)


**Check out more pics of the eclipse here!

0 comments: