BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Sleeper Bus

A little background...
Hong Kong was under a 100 year British rule until 1997 when the land was handed back over to China.  When the British lease of the land expired in 1997 they made a deal with China that things in Hong Kong would stay the way they were for 50 years.  So to visit Hong Kong there is no visa needed.  Many people actually apply for their mainland China visa while in Hong Kong.

Leaving Hong Kong and entering mainland China was much easier then either of us expected.  We jumped on the metro, took it to the end of the line where we literally walked across the boarder (a first for both Mimi and I).  We walked right to the bus station where we were off on our next adventure... overnight sleeper bus to Yangshuo.  As we were standing there waiting for our bus to arrive I wasn't sure what I had gotten us into.  Surprisingly it was MY idea to take the 8 hour overnight sleeper bus.  I thought I had remembered reading somewhere that there would be beds on the bus but as bus after bus pulled up with just normal charter bus style seats I began to second guess myself.    Shortly after loosing hope that we would have something semi comfortable to sleep in our bus pulled up and amazingly was full of beds!  It was surprisingly comfortable, each little bed pod had a pillow and blanket, it was clean (we had to take off our shoes before entering the bus) and there was safe storeage for my purse in a compartment under the matress.

We were pleasently surprised at how much we were actually able to sleep and if my memory serves me correctly there are the same style buses in Southeast Asia which we are looking forward to taking advantage of the overnight travel/accommodations this summer.

Mimi on the bottom bunk
Top bunk!

0 comments: